Sunday, February 24, 2013

French Gourmet Dinner and Displaying Your Quilts

We used to belong to an active gourmet dinner group - I think we started over 20 years ago, but haven't done anything in about six years.  There were eight of us to begin with, and then we added another couple to make ten.  Dean and I decided to host a reunion (I planned ahead - can't believe it, because we are usually best at spontaneous entertaining) and we had it last night.  I think it turned out great.

Since we were the hosts, we got to decide what the theme would be and we chose French.  Maybe because we went to France in June, and maybe because I haven't cooked much French food.  I can't believe it.  I have been known to make lots of ethnic foods - Sushi, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, German, Polish, Greek, etc.  I used to make crepes years ago, but I think that's it.   Dean and I made Boeuf Bourgiginon and Potatoes Au Gratin.  Tons of cream and bacon and butter and oooh, la, la, it was really, really good.  Probably my best effort with our gourmet group.

Dean couldn't find any sunflowers at the store yesterday, but he did find these yellow flowers, and I pulled every piece of blue glass from my house and put it on the table.  We used my blue and yellow dishes, and I even whipped up six new napkins - couldn't make all ten because I just didn't have any more blue/white fabric.  I tell you, I have really been on a stashbusting roll lately!!




 Of course, I have tons of quilts all around my living room.  At one point, I had only one, but have really been using more lately - why not?  I love them, and I love fabric, and they really warm up our house - with all that tile it can get a bit austere looking.


My tablecloth wasn't big enough so I took a couple pieces of fabric and tucked it under the tablecloth and it worked.  



View from the front door entryway.  Maybe the best thing about entertaining (which we rarely do anymore) is that our house is clean, and will be for a day or two.... at least until my quilting crap gets scattered from here to the other end of the house!!

How about you?  Do you entertain anymore?  Do you have your quilts displayed around your home?

5 comments:

Furball Farm Quilting said...

I'm jealous of all of your blue glassware! How divine it looks. I love that you have your quilts on display. What good are they when they are stored in a cupboard? Thankyou for sharing these great pics!

ann said...

We too are part of a gourmet group. Friends from University of Toronto days when we all were in biochem together. We meet 4 times per year , once at each couples home. Last night was a night to get together, the theme? "Street food". Since we live out in the country we joked that up our way that meant roadkill. we had a terrific dinner with Manchurian cabbage balls , a spicy Mexican salad, fish tacos and an edible bowl filled with ice cream with fruit to finish us off. Host couple chooses the theme and is responsible for main course. The other three couples do the appies, soup/salad, dessert portions. In 32 yrs we have yet to duplicate a meal and have only had a less than memorable meal once. i have gifted my friends with totes, pillows and ornaments over the years and have recently begun to think about a small wall quilt for each of them. I will be retiring from teaching this June and will maybe have the time to do something ambitious like that, oh wait, i hope to travel the world ;)). How fun it was to read of your gourmet group and too see your wonderful quilts hanging in your home. Thanks for sharing

Mary said...

Hi Ann, thanks you so much for stopping by. I love your idea of road kill. What fun! I am so impressed thT you are able to keep it going, too.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

What fun and your table looks amazing! I often say that I need to plan an at home event as that is such motivation to get a lot done...

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful table and how fun to see all your quilts! We entertain more in the summer and yes.....I seem to have quilted things all over the place :) Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...