Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Inspired Yet Uninspired


The blocks in this quilt were made by friends in my Loose Threads group and I 'won' them in our monthly drawing.  I say 'won' lightly because I was one of the last two women to win in our 15 month BOM and drawing event, so I was allowed to choose the color theme.  When I started putting the blocks together and created the layout I had big dreams. 

As I got further into it I realized that I a) must scale down my dreams to a more realistic outcome, and b) needed to be the only person happy with this quilt because it was not going to dazzle at any show. (My big dream - that I can make the jury cut of some really big show.  Think Ed Sullivan there 😉). 

I copied Judi Madsen's work (green fairy quilts), and added a bit of my own work. Then, I soon got bored.  Rather than continue on with more ruler work, I'm just doing some mindless and super simple, fast fills.

I know I read this on someone else's blog but I can't remember who:  it seems so silly to spend so much time quilting something that has no purpose.  How true. What was I thinking?  Well, I will chalk this one up to another learning experience.  I think I need to go for broke, or just go for something utilitarian.  Whaddyu think???

(Another reason to love quilting for customers... I can quilt with a purpose!)

5 comments:

Pauline Michaud said...

I love what you've done so far on this quilt and it will be beautiful regardless of what you decide to do going forward. Sometimes, you just have to see it through to the end - even if it ends up being a learning experience. Ruler work takes a lot of time. In the end, do and invest the time that makes you happy!

Carole @ Fresh off the Frame said...

Sometimes a person just needs to clear the frame and move forward. It often pays to listen to your gut and do what "feels" right. Hopefully you will feel more excited about your next project!

Valerie said...

I love it! Many times, I'm not wild about what Is on the frame for various reasons but that all changes when it comes off the frame and really comes alive! Keep going, it's beautiful.

Dawn said...

Does it really "need" to have a purpose? If for you it does than can you gift it to a new home and thus give you the purpose you seem to need to complete it? Is there a wedding or a special birthday, annivesary in the near future of a dear family member it could be gifted to? Maybe gifting it would give you the nudge to get excited about finishing it? Just my 2 cents. ;) It is gorgeous!

Preeti said...

I think you are wrong. This will positively dazzle (and then some) at a quilt show. In fact, I can see a ribbon next to it, already!!!
Please give yourself a huge pat on the back for so patiently and beautifully seeing this to the finish. It is a gorgeous beauty of a quilt.
http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...