Thursday, July 25, 2013

Just Plain Fun!

As a longarm quilter, tension issues can make or break your day, literally.  Do you agree?  I started this quilt with a ton of tension problems, but ended it successfully, thank goodness.

Since I had just finished the intense quilting on Marianne, I treated myself by dusting off one of my personal quilts and loading it.  This quilt was made for a challenge with my quilt group, Loose threads.  The challenge was to use two pieces of fabric, one dot, and one stripe that we had randomly chosen from a blind draw.  I pulled from my scraps and paired them with Kona gray. I did not plan this quilt, and I would like to make another and choose other colors/fabrics.  I didn't have a pattern, just made some elongated snowball patterns.

My quilting was influenced by a quilt that was done by Teresa Silva at www.quiltingismybliss@blogspot.com. I love freehand swirls and waves.  My straight lines were done without a ruler, it was so relaxing.

I finally got brave and tried out my HUGE cone of Superior's Monopoly.  I had been so afraid of trying it, but it quilted beautiful with absolutely no problems.  Honestly, I felt like I had just won a contest when I started quilting...I was giddy!

7 comments:

Vic H. said...

I feel your pain regarding tension issues...I have a question, maybe you can answer. Do you have more issues with unwashed fabrics? I always wash my own fabric and have fine tension...but lots of issues with customer quilts when they don't prewash. Am I crazy?? By the way, good job on your quilt!!

Furball Farm Quilting said...

That looks wonderful Mary. Is the Monopoly a "nylon" clear thread? I' use the Auriful monofilament for SID around applique, ......... but I would worry about using it for any type of custom or E2E work. It really doesn't look as though a "fishing line" of thread has been used on this beauty. That Teresa has become a master of this technique of quilting...... and I don't think your far off of becoming the same.

Diane said...

you're quilt is wonderful, love how you quilted it-and tension troubles are definitely horrible!

Vicki in MN said...

Ooooh I love the quilt and the quilting!! I gotta remember this for when I need a modern quilt-it is sooo cute-errr that is if you don't mind me copying it?

Vicki in MN said...

Ooooh I love the quilt and the quilting!! I gotta remember this for when I need a modern quilt-it is sooo cute-errr that is if you don't mind me copying it?

~Deb Lindley said...

LOVE the quilt AND the quilting - looks wonderful! I use Superior's clear mono-poly all the time, too, it's really great for quilting over/around/through multiple fabrics and applique. Looks like you mastered it beautifully...CONGRATS!

Quilt ON!
~Deb

Teresa Silva said...

Mary...I love how your quilt turned out! Your swirls look great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...