Saturday, May 7, 2011

Happy Mother's Day Mom and Grandma

Wow, I cannot imagine my life without sewing and quilting.  I think I've always loved to sew, and I have my mom to thank for this! 
 My mom taught me how to sew and I used to make my own clothes as far back as sixth grade.  My mom, Sylvia, used to make most of my clothes and then I remember walking to a store (can't remember if it was called Ben Franklin or Coronet) to buy fabric and patterns for my camisoles or other hippy-ish tops. 

I learned to sew on this sewing machine, which used to be my Grandma Maciejewski's machine, and then it was given to my mom.  I never got to meet this grandma, she died in 1948 long before I was born.

This gem of a machine was manufactured in Elizabeth NJ in 1925.  It's a Singer Model 99 - apparently a 3/4 size version of the Model 66.  I just took this machine out from below my longarm -- I needed to use it because my daughter has just taken up quilting and needed to use my machine.  I haven't used it in several years and it ran fabulously!!! 

Well, Mom, thanks for teaching me how to sew!  Love you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...